posted on October 23, 2014 03:01
Rating 2/5 based on 1 votes
Really, Corel like to make surprises!
Against all odds, Pinnacle Studio 18 came out today and, true to our reputation, we deliver the information to you as soon as possible. Of course we will take the time to test more deeply the new baby of the Pinnacle Studio family and get back to you later with more details, but already here is that there is to know about this new version and first impressions.
As usual now the software is proposed in three versions : PS18 $59.95, PS18 Plus $99.95 ($69.95 for upgrade) and PS18 Ultimate $129.95 ($89.95 for upgrade).
Let's start immediatly with the main novelty.
After installing your software, do not bother to look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Pinnacle\Studio 18. For all those who have a 64-bits version of Windows, you will find it in C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\Studio 18. The difference is crucial: Pinnacle Studio 18 became a 64-bits application! This means that in terms of development the programmers team at Corel had to rewrite entire sections of Studio. The reward is a faster treatment and a RAM management capacity increased. When a 32-bits application can handle 2 ^ 32 bits so 4GB, a 64-bits application can handle 2 ^ 64 bits or about 2 billion GB. That's on paper, because in practice the transition to 64-bits is rarely as stunning as promised. We'll see in our tests how it is with Pinnacle Studio.
In practice, the Studio Installer will detect the type of operating system on your PC and install the 32-bits or 64-bits automatically. A possible trick is to install the 32-bits version on a 64-bits OS. But I still keep a little bit the secret for me.
Also in the area of installation, the additional content of Studio 18 is no longer mixed in the C:\Users\Public\Documents\Pinnacle\Content folder that was shared by all versions of Studio, but in a specific folder. I suppose that some media are specific to 64-bits, but it's still a guess. Maybe montage themes?
For the rest here is in bulk what I have noticed :
- a new Grouping feature. As its name suggests, it allows you to group items on the timeline so that they behave as a single element
- a new Close gaps feature to automatically close gaps between assets in timeline
- hardware accelaration allows now to chose between Intel Quick Sync (for graphic chipsets integrated in CPU), CUDA or none
- Red Giant effects are no longer delivered in PS18, but if PS17 is already installed on your system, they will be retrieved automatically by PS18. But they will work in 32-bits
- a great collection of NewBlue effects : Film Effect, Essentials II, VI et VII, NewBlue Stabilizer
- 2 collections of NewBlue transitions : Lightblends et Motionblends
- a collection of musics from Triple Scoop Music
- possible to export using XAVC S Sony's format
- the ability to determine a specific area of the global timeline to be exported
- on your Windows desktop an icon is installed directing you to a web page of Studio Backlot, a website developed by Paul Holtz at Class on Demand. On this commercial website you will find lot of resources for Studio. For 45 days the entire site is free access
- the advanced Trimming mode of Studio is only available in Insert editing mode
- for royalties reasons to Blu-ray Disc Association, lthe Blu-ray export must be enabled in the ? Menu.
- no more Box account, nor Box direct export
I kept the best/worst for the end. The SmartSound no longer work. Is it a hiccup in history or just a technical problem, I hope it all falls into place quickly. After offering the SmartSound plugin to everyone in the Studio 17.5 patch, I will not understand that Corel make it disappear in the Studio 18. Note, thta Smartsound is still running fine in 32 bits version of PS18.
Besides, we touches on here one of the problems of the transitionning to 64-bits. The need for third-party publishers to adapt their plugins to 64-bits. The problems of backwards compatibility will quickly appear, it is hoped that the 64-bits versions of our prefered plugins are quickly developed.
Partial timeline export :
Triple Scoop musics :
The Grouping feature :
Last minute info :
Once you start using the software, a window will pop up offering to patch immediately. Studio will become 184.108.40.2062. If you needed proof that Corel will continue to improve PS18, you are now ok.