I propose today to find out what can be achieved by applying to a simple title some of the Red Giant plugins for Studio 14 / Studio 15, AVID Studio as well as new Studio versions. You'll learn in this tutorial how to make a video like this :
Here I have used successively the following Red Giant plugins for Studio: Knoll Light Factory, Warp Reflections, Trapcode Starglow, Trapcode Shine and finally Trapcode Particular that GG had mentioned in her tutorial Red Giant plugin: Trapcode Particular Effect
As stated in my introduction, the filters will be applied to a title. We just have to create one on the title track. For this I open our old good Title Deko by right-clicking the track titles and I select Go to classic title editor :
In Title Deko, I create a title with the text Tutos: http://declic-video-fx.com in orange and I set its duration to 25 secondes.
Once back in the timeline of Studio, I cut this title at 4s, 7s, 13s and 19s for having 5 distinct clips on which the plugins will be applied
Knoll Light Factory :
Knoll Light Factory creates light effects called lens flares because they simulate reflections of very bright light source as seen through a camera's lens. Here we will use such an effect as an opening transition to our title.
I apply to the beginning of the 1st part of the title the 2D transition Wipe right which is located in the standrad transitions album :
I set its duration to 0:00:03:14 :
This gives a wonderful title that appears gradually from left to right.
On the video track I create a 3 seconds blank title above my titleTutos: http://declic-video-fx.com. For this, I simply open Title Deko as explained above and I close it immediately after opening.
I will apply to this blank title the Knoll Light Factory plugin. I open the video toolbox of Studio, and add Knoll Light Factory :
In the presets list I choose Maple tree which has an orange shade like my title :
I immediatly change the following settings :
- Brightness to 120 to add light
- Scale to 0.50 to have the flare smaller
- Light Source Loc X to 5 to place the flare at the left of the title at effect starting
- Light Source Loc Y to 50 to place the flare on the same line than my title
I add a few of movement by activating keyframes and going to the second keyframe which is at the end of the clip :
In this keyframe I change :
- Scale to 3 so the flare grows up gradually
- Light Source Loc X to 100 so the flare ends at the right of the title
Here is the trick. By crossing the title from left to right in step with the sweeping title, the effect gives the impression that the title appears at the same time that the lens flare.
I just need now to insert at the beginning and end of the blank title a Fade type transition of 0:00:00:15 so the flare appears and disappears softly on the screen.
This is what your timeline should look like if you did the job correctly :
Warp Reflect :
I apply the effect Warp, Reflect to the second part of th etitle. As its name suggests, this plugin simulates a reflection on my title.
I immediatly activate keyframes and I change the following settings :
- Height to 500 to lengthen the reflect
- Softness to 100 to soften the reflect
- Softness aspect to 5 only to avoid immediate appearance of the reflect
I create a second keyframe at 0:00:01:15 from the beginning of this part of the title. I just change the setting Softness aspect to 0.18 so the reflect appears. I make sure the other setiings remains the same than those of keyframe 1.
I stand at the end of the title and I control keyframe 3 is identical to keyframe 2.
Trapcode Starglow :
Starglow simulates light glowing effects on some points of the text.
Before applying Starglow effect, I will continue in this third part of the title to display the previous reflection then make it disappear. I add again Warp, Reflect and I create 4 keyframes :
- Keyframe 1 to 0:00:00:00 same than keyframe 2 of previous clip
- Keyframe 2 to 0:00:04:02 same than keyframe 2 of previous clip
- Keyframe 3 to 0:00:04:19 same than keyframe 2 of previous clip
- Keyframe 4 to 0:00:06:00 same than keyframe 2 of previous clip
Then I apply Trapcode Starglow effect and the preset Grassy star :
I immediatly activate keyframes :
Throughout this section I will only modify the parameters Treshold which set the minimum level of light required for the effect to be applied, Streak length that specifies how long should be the rays of the flares and Boost light which controls the brightness of the rays :
I create following keyframes :
- Keyframe 1 to 0:00:00:00, Treshold : 160, Streak length : 35, Boost light : 0
- Keyframe 2 to 0:00:00:16, Treshold : 0, Streak length : 35, Boost light : 0
- Keyframe 3 to 0:00:01:19, Treshold : 0, Streak length : 35, Boost light : 10
- Keyframe 4 to 0:00:03:03, Treshold : 0, Streak length : 35, Boost light : 0
- Keyframe 5 to 0:00:04:07, Treshold : 0, Streak length : 35, Boost light : 10
- Keyframe 6 to 0:00:05:13, Treshold : 0, Streak length : 35, Boost light : 0
- Keyframe 7 to 0:00:06:00, Treshold : 160, Streak length : 35, Boost light : 0
Trapcode Shine :
Shine is a radial light effect pligin..
I apply the effect and let Presets to None :
I immediatly change settings Source point Y to 45 to have the effect on the same line thant the title, Ray length to 5 to make it nicer, Boost light to 5 to give more power to the light rays, Colorize to None and Transfer mode to Add, otherwise it does not work !
I activate keyframes :
I create the following keyframes :
- Keyframe 1 to 0:00:00:00, Source point X to 100 so the light source starts at the right of the text and Shine opacity to 0 to display nothing
- Keyframe 2 to 0:00:00:12, Source point X to 91.78 and Shine opacity to 100 to display the rays
- Keyframe 3 to 0:00:05:12, Source point X to 08.22 and Shine opacity to 100
- Keyframe 4 to 0:00:06:00, Source point X to 0 so the light source ends at the left of the text and Shine opacity sur 0 to turn off the rays
Trapcode particular :
Here, the effect will be used as an ending transition for our title.
The work looks like what I did with Knoll Light Factory : insertion of a Wipe right transition but of 4 seconds and at the end of the title, creation of a blank title on the video track but of 4 seconds.
It's on this blank title that I apply the effect Trapcode Particular and the preset SD Blue sparks :
Our title is orange, so I immediately change the color to make orange sparks also.
I use the eyedropper in Color :
And I select an orange zone of my title in the preview window of Studio :
I activate keyframes and create the following keyframes :
- Keyframe 1 to 0:00:00:00, Position XY X to 10 so the emitting center of particulars starts at the end of my title, Position XY Y to 52 so the emitting center of particulars is on the same line than the bottom of my title
- Keyframe 2 to 0:00:04:00, Position XY X to 90 so the emitting center of particulars reaches the end of my title, Position XY Y to 52
Last thing, I insert at the beginning and end of the blank title a Fade type transition of 0:00:00:15 so the sparks appear and disappear softly on the screen.
Here I am. I add some sound effects to give images more impact and it's over.
Important information for anyone who had ever tried Warp and had never managed to obtain anything. This plugin applies only to images with an alpha channel and that are positioned on the overlay track or on the title track of Studio. Otherwise, it doesn't work.
For those who had used without success Shine, it is important to set the transfer mode to something else than None which is by default. Otherwise, the result is horrible.
Well, I hope you enjoyed it and that it will give you many ideas for your montages. By varying the many settings of each plugin, the possibilities are virtually endless.