Déclic Vidéo FX
posted on April 18, 2014 08:45
Rating 2/5 based on 1 votes
ATI vs NVIDIA for Pinnacle Studio, BluffTitler or proDAD ?
With the last Pinnacle Studio 17.3 patch (Download Pinnacle Studio patch 184.108.40.2060), I have a severe problem, let's called it a bug or showstopper, since I am no longer able to use Pinnacle Studio 17.3 which is constantly crashing (I returned back to version 17.2).
So, given that :
- I have not had a phenomenal success on the forum ( see my post here );
- the Pinnacle developper team remained deaf to my problem;
- this version seems to work well with others.
I thought I was alone with this problem... So, I had a look to Le Papy , and saby configuration, and I concluded that I was very close to the configuration of Le Papy, with the exception of the graphics card (I am ATI, he is NVIDIA)... In addition, Le Papy has no problem... Because Pinnacle Studio claims that its software is adapted to CUDA technology used in NVIDIA graphics (and my problem is mainly a problem of preview and not rendering), I decided to invest in a beautiful new graphic card (300$), an NVIDIA - MSI GeForce GTX -760 2GD5/OC (800 MHz 2048 MB PCI- Express), which is overclocked compared to the original card.
So I bought the new graphic card, I installed it, I was delighted . Of course, I made some previews and redering with Studio and the old card, just to check the difference...
INCREDIBLE: ATI or NVIDIA , same fight (except I prefer NVIDIA installation and drivers update, everything is automated and more convenient than the ATI drivers) .
Regarding Pinnacle Studio: ATI or NVIDIA, it does not change ANYTHING! Nothing... I 'm completely blown away. My old graphics card is a graphics card XFX HD- 5770 - ZNFA PCIe (Radeon HD5770 1024 MB DDR5 2xDVI HDMI Display Port), while the new one is much more powerful... Well, for Pinnacle Studio, it does not change anything, it does not make any use of the GPU (graphics processor unit), should it be for rendering or for previewing.
Difference in rendering time (background rendering or export only, with or without hardware acceleration): 1 second difference (while the whole takes 4:30)... Is that clear enough ? On one side ATI 4:30 and 4:29 for NVIDIA (should it be background rendering or export).
CONCLUSION : Do *NOT* jump on a new graphic card, it's of NO use, you will not gain anything with Pinnacle Studio which is not using CUDA nor does it using GPU... By cons, BluffTitler or proDAD Vitascene / proDAD Mercalli / proDAD Heroglyph are much faster and rendering process is fast, on their side, they have developers who know how to use the power of the GPU ...
Take note that my processor is going up to 90% when doing a rendering (with the old card or the new one), when doing a background rendering or exporting. For Le Papy, it's only 40-50% (our difference is with the processor, I have an i7- 960 while he has an i7- 3770K - see comparison here ). Le Papy made a test with the same duration than me, he encodes in 2:13 (for 03:10 duration) while I encode in 4:44 (HD 1080p). So, if you want to increase the performance of your Pinnacle Studio, you know what to do... Upgrade your processor...
Windows Experience Index for Papy:
Windows Experience Index for Déclic Vidéo:
Déclic Vidéo configuration for those who asked for:
- INTEL Quad Core i7-960 3.2 GHz [LGA1366 - 8MB - QPI 4800 MT/s]
- NOCTUA NH-U12P SE2 ventilator
- MotherBoard: ASUS P6X58D-E (Intel X58 / ICH10R - Socket 1366 - FSB 6400)
- Memory DDR3 Tripple Channel 12GB 2x[3x2GB] DDR1333 (PC3-10666) - CORSAIR TR3X [TR3X6G1333C9]
- OLD Graphic Card XFX HD-5770-ZNFA PCIe (Radeon HD5770 1024 MB 2xDVI HDMI Display Port DDR5)
- NEW Graphic Card NVIDIA - MSI GeForce GTX -760 2GD5/OC (800 MHz 2048 MB PCI- Express)
- Hard Disk C:\ Crucial SSD M4 CT256M4SSD2 2,5" Marvell SATA III Epaisseur 9,5mm 256 Go
- Video Hard Disk (D:\) 2 x 1 To RAID 0 (SATA600 1.0 To 7200 tours WD Caviar Black (64 MB) [WD1002FAEX]
- Data Hard Disk SATAII 320 GB WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar SE (16 MB) WDC WD3200KS-00PFBO 7200 rpm
- Backup Hard Disk SATAII 1 To SAMSUNG SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ (32 Mo)
- Case ANTEC P183 Black
- Alimentation ENERMAX 700W Modu87+
- OS Windows 7 ULTIMATE 64 bits English